Friday, July 3, 2009

Why Do I Put Myself Through These Things???

Today was vet day for Phoebe and Dixie. All went well until we actually got to the office (meaning, the drive to Leesburg was uneventful). I got the two girls out of the car and spent a minute or two talking to a bicyclist who was especially admiring of Phoebe, even though she's so naked she looks mangy. Our latest efforts to glue Dixie's ears in place left spots of glue in places other than her ears and the bicyclist said she looked "like she's got snot all over her head". After that compliment, I headed into the office. I thought Dixie was remarkably well behaved, not pulling on the leash at all and told her so. She didn't hear me as she had slipped her head out of her collar and was running towards another admirer! Dr. Pease had also just arrived so he scooped up the escapee for me. Once inside, I fixed Dixie's collar and thought all would be fine. Phoebe started barking at the other patients, and Dixie tried running back outside, bouncing off the glass door (she really is smarter than that, honest!)
Dr. Conway had the pleasure of the exam. Phoebe was great, is in good weight and health. Dixie weighs 26 pounds now--or maybe 32, or maybe 24. She wouldn't hold still on the scale! "She's very active" Dr. Conway observed and also said she has lots of personality. Dixie was good for her exam and shots, although she did have to jump up to see what was on the surface of the corner cabinet and there was an unfortunate moment when she snapped at her mother over a treat. Phoebe was such a model patient that the clinic staff think Dixie's bad ways must come from her father! I let them know Phoebe is no saint and that Danny is known as "the good dog". While I was paying the bill, Dixie went around the desk, angling for more treats and jumping up to see what Sue was doing.
After that, I did a couple of errands. By the time I got to Home Depot, I thought it was getting too hot to leave the dogs in the car and there is no shade in the store's parking lot. Against my better judgment, I took both the girls in the store with me. I plunked Dixie down into a cart but even that made shopping hard. Phoebe was very determined to go down certain aisles while Dixie was as determined to get out of the cart. But then, the other shoppers started to notice I had a puppy in my cart and started coming over to pet her. Phoebe wasn't getting any attention! Of course, that didn't go over well at all with her and she started getting stubborn about finishing our shopping and walking to the checkout.
We finally got back to the car and Dixie had had enough, too. When I opened the back of the Sequoia, Dixie jumped from the cart into her crate! Phoebe was too irked to even consider hopping up and I had to lift her into the back.
From the show front, Gibson is driving Ellen crazy! Last week-end, he stressed over being on the grooming table and kept backing away from the judge. Ellen kept him out of a couple of the shows as he was just too tense. Today went better, Gibson took reserve and even wagged his tail a few times while in the ring. I may handle him the next two days, to see if that helps his ring jitters. The "fun" of dogs, indeed!

No comments: