Sunday, May 9, 2010

Exciting News!

  I have been too caught up in dogs and gardens to post!  I have many pictures to post of Gibson and Jewel, from a couple fun things we've done this spring, but this is an update about Sadie and Dixie.
  Sadie came into season in early April and after much thought, we bred her to Wyndlair Avalanche, who is at stud at Southland Collies in Tennessee.  I made the 11 hour trip to take Sadie to Southland--I had never done a trip like that by myself before!  While it was a lot of driving, Sadie was a good passenger, the countryside was pretty and it was a rather easy drive (plus I had a good book on cd to listen to!).  The destination was well worth the trip!  The mistress of Southland, Mike Cheatham, is a wonderful person, very welcoming and I knew Sadie would be well cared for while away from home.  Mike gave me a tour of her beautiful kennels and I was able to spend a bit of time with her stunning collies.  I left Southland with a severe case of kennel envy and wondering how quickly I could return to incorporate her other studs into our breeding program.  So many thoughts whirling about in my head--it was hard to settle down to sleep in the motel that night!
  David made the return trip last week-end to bring Sadie home.  He arrived shortly before that terrible storm did and he only stayed long enough to exchange pleasantries before crating Sadie for the start of home.  They got caught in the heavy rain for about 3 hours, then drove for a couple more before finding a nice motel for the night.  Sadie had her first ride in an elevator!  David said she was a quiet and model room-mate but he was so exhausted from the drive through the storm that he probably didn't hear her!
  Now, we're just waiting for signs that puppies are on the way.  While I occupy myself with puppy names and thoughts of kennel improvements after seeing Southland--with David ignoring my proposals--we are basking in Dixie's latest accomplishment.  She was Winners Bitch and Best of Winners at the Baltimore Kennel Club for her first major!!!  The day before, she was Reserve Winners at the Old Dominion Kennel Club show.  I was really hoping that would be her first major, as her mom, Phoebe, had her first major at that show in 2005.  Dixie will be going to Ohio in late May for a week-end of major shows--could she come home a champion?  Let's hope early summer brings us a champion and puppies!!!!
 

No comments: