Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Bad Blood

  I don't know what has happened with Mosby and Gibson but they are friends no more.  For two years, they've been kenneled next to each other and have played in the yards, always getting along.  A few times tempers have flared over a toy or a treat, but always returned to friendly harmony.  The past couple of weeks have seen an increase in the flare ups, then the other day, it became an all out fight.  I went to feed the dogs and found both boys bloodied and Mosby limping.  The cuts turned out to be superficial that bled easily.  Mosby is in the house to rest his leg and is just about back to normal.  I put him in the yard this morning while I fed everyone else.  Gibson thought it was going to be a play day and ran to the yard gate after he finished eating.  When he saw Mosby, both boys started posturing and egged each other to make an opening move.  I got Gibson back inside and returned Mosby to his comfy bed in the house.
  I'm quite puzzled as to what is going on between them.  I've had intact males together in the yard for quite some time without fighting.  Mosby has always been good with the other dogs but I'm wondering if his personality is changing as he ages (he's now 9).  Or is Gibson trying to assert his dominance as the alpha male?

No comments: