Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My Protector???

  Nothing has been as motivating to inspire me to lose my (many) winters' pounds as the prospect of becoming a grandmother followed by the wedding of our younger son.  I wasn't that motivated when our older son got married but for some reason this time I really want to shed those extra pounds.  We started hiking at Ball's Bluff, thinking it would be a great conditioning program for Jackson, but it's been very good for me, too!
  I recently saw a big dip in the scale and decided I didn't want to wait for the week-end to hike through the park again (the only time David can go with me).  We discussed whether it would be safe for me to go solo during the week.  The park abuts a neighborhood but once deep in the woods, civilization seems far, far away.  David thought it would be perfectly fine for me to hike alone.  I thought I should be cautious and call him as I was starting my hike, tell him which colored trail I was taking and then call when I was back in the car.  He thought I was overly cautious--actually, I think the word he used was paranoid!
  I decided today was a good day for a hike and took Gibson along for added protection.  Jackson is in pretty good condition now and is such a happy go lucky guy that he would try to make friends with any potential boogey-men!  Gibson is big and muscular.  Most people are wary of approaching him, especially if he starts to bark.
  I called David shortly before I got to the park, told him which trail I had decided on and about what time I thought I'd be finished.  He told me to enjoy my outing and not worry.  Imagine his surprise when I called him after the hike to say I encountered a van full of "bad men"!  Of course, I was startled too, to come around a curve in the path and find several men in striped jumpsuits--a Work Release crew from the Sheriff's Department!  They were hauling the debris from the downed trees into a trailer.  Gibson was fine with the inmates but not with the trailer!  He tried to bolt when they passed us on their way back to the parking lot.  They were off-loading the trailer by the time we got back to the car.  I thought Gibson was ready for a drink and I was certainly ready to sit a bit.  I opened the back of the Sequoia to perch myself and Gibson immediately jumped up beside me.  He plastered himself against me, shaking, as the men finished dumping the limbs.  Once the trailer rattled past us once again, Gibson relaxed, then started to look around as if to say "Yep, all secure, she's safe.  I've done my job"!

No comments: