Saturday, October 15, 2011

Phoebe's Surprise

The other day, I took advantage of the nice weather and did some outside chores.  It was also a good day for the dogs to play outside.  I spent a bit of time working around the big play yard where we mutually enjoyed each other's company.
  Phoebe has always been a bit of a diva, not joining in with the pack when they are let out to play.  Now that she is a senior, she is a bit more aloof, avoiding the rough housing and mad racing about the yard.  She also likes to sleep more, finding quiet corners for her naps.
  I was installing an additional bolt on the big, wooden doors of the play yard.  All the dogs, except Phoebe, were watching me, jockeying for better positions near the wire fencing.  Phoebe was sleeping, very hard, outstretched in a shady corner away from us.  As I was finishing up with the bolt, I heard a "fwop, fwop, fwop".  Looking up, I saw a huge black vulture rising up from the ground, near where Phoebe was asleep. It must have thought Phoebe was a potential meal!  The noise of the vulture taking flight woke Phoebe up, and she had the most surprised look on her face when she saw the big bird!  One of those times I wished I had a camera!

No comments: