Monday, November 5, 2012

My Favorite Brushes

  A few years ago, I received a pin brush from the Collie Health Foundation as a show trophy.  I knew many Collie people like the brush but didn't think it could be that different from any other pin brush.  After only one use, I became a fan and like so many others,  it quickly became my favorite! 
  When my brush broke last year, I dug out one of my old brushes from my tack box.  The dogs didn't like it and I was reminded why I liked the Collie Health Foundation brush so much better.  It's easier to handle, it goes right through a collie coat and easily works out those little tangles behind the ears and in the feathers.  I bought two more brushes so I wouldn't have to worry about going without should I lose my brush at a show or break after years of use.
    Actually, since this past summer, I don't have to worry about going without one of these great brushes for quite a while!  I'm now the promos chair for the Collie Health Foundation!
  When I retired, I wanted to do some type of volunteer work, preferably with dogs.  I was thinking about and would still like to be involved in therapy work.  I wanted to be more involved in the Collie Club of America and also the Collie Health Foundation but wasn't sure where I could be of the most use.  The Foundation's promos position opened and I thought I would just be working on a committee.  Somehow, I ended up the chair!  But, it's not a big time commitment--though between the promos and my job, the blog isn't getting more frequent updates--and it's fun to fill orders and very soon, order new inventory.  Sometimes, I feel like I'm "playing store"!  But the funds that are being raised have a very serious and important purpose--to fund grants to worthwhile organizations for research in breeding, genetics and health issues in all dogs with primary emphasis on the Collie.
  So while a corner of the dogs' room is filled with pin brushes, lanyards, mutt matts, decals, ear rings, catalog covers and (hopefully, soon) new, exciting inventory, I hope I'm giving something back to the breed I love so much.  Amazing what one pin brush can lead to!

No comments: