Thursday, April 19, 2012

How Did She Do That?

  Spring has brought a wave of girls in season!  Phoebe started the rise of hormones and now Gemma is finishing it up by being the last to come into heat.
  To keep the boys from being frustrated, as well as discouraging any stray, would-be suitors, Gemma is in the house, crated at night.  Even though the room is for the dogs, I don't want them to get into mischief during the night.  But, somehow, Gemma did!
  I heard a crash the other morning, followed by silence.  Then, a flurry of noises that I didn't believe Sophie (who is not crated) could possibly make.  When I opened the door, I was greeted by a happy Gemma and a bewildered Sophie.  The area rugs I use in the whelping box had been pulled from the shelf, my grooming bucket had been pilfered, the slicker brush had some tooth marks added to it, the chalk stick   broken, toys were strewn about, the water bucket was almost empty but there was plenty of water on the floor, the bottle of ear glue had been chewed and was oozing glue onto Sophie's floor mats.  I hurriedly cleaned that up before the mats were glued together, finding some glops of glue on the floor, too.
  Poor Sophie had glue on her foot and slobber on her head.  I'm sure she was sound asleep when Gemma broke out of her crate and was completely surprised by all the commotion and Gemma's attempts at play.
  But how did Gemma get out of her crate?  I thought maybe my husband had not latched it the night before when he brought Gemma inside, but no, the latch was in the lock position, although the bottom latch looked like it had not been in place.  Could she have worked the crate door out of position, thus escaping?  I'm not taking any chances now, though!  I'm using a coupler to keep the door extra secure and will plan on taking one with me for any shows Gemma will attend.  I don't mind scraping glue from the floor but definitely don't want to chase down a dog at a show!

No comments: