Monday, May 14, 2012

Bijou's New Home

  Bijou's perfect family has found her and she is now living in Frederick, MD!  In early spring, Holly contacted me, inquiring about Bijou.  She and her husband have three children, ages 8, 6 and 4--great ages for a dog like Bijou.  Plus, the family enjoys the outdoors together and physical activities.  Another plus!  The more Holly and I talked, the more I had a sense that this could be Bijou's family.  When Holly brought the children out to meet Bijou and tour the kennel, I knew it was a perfect match!
  Bijou knew it, too!  She ran with the kids, was very gentle with them and followed them about the yard. When it was time for them to leave, she watched the kids get into the van, clearly wanting to go with them.
  Holly and I arranged the time for them to get their new family member.  They needed a few dog supplies before Bijou moved in and when we exchanged e-mails about dog crates, food and such, there was always a line about how anxious the children were for her arrival.
  Finally, the day arrived!  I gave Bijou a bath and wanted to spend a lot of time with her, but she seemed to know that her family was coming.  Bijou was attentive to me but clearly anticipating their arrival.
  Such a happy reunion between the kids and Bijou when I opened the door!  Their dad, Miguel, was meeting Bijou for the first time, but he was immediately smitten.  She, of course, was flirting but she didn't need to use her charms as the kids had already told him how wonderful she is.
  While Miguel and I did the paperwork, went over last minute instructions and all, Holly and the children took Bijou outside and walked her a bit in preparation for her ride home.  When I got outside, Bijou was laying on her pillow in the van, sound asleep and the kids were in their car seats, anxious to go!  When I bent to kiss Bijou good-bye, she gave me a sleepy, "I think I've met you someplace before" then focused on her kids.  Great transition!
  In the reports since, it sounds like she's adjusted very easily and it's been pretty smooth sailing.  Here's a couple of pictures:


2 comments:

Dianne SS said...

Aww, that's pretty wonderful! Isn't it amazing how dogs sense things--she seemed to know that was her new family. May they have many, many happy years together!!!

Jan said...

This was a perfect placement! Which was the only way we'd part with Bijou as she's such a sweet girl. It is funny how they pick their families. We've had that happen a couple of times before and it's great to see. I thought Bijou had picked us--sometime they decide to be a "Hillcroft" collie--and she probably had, until she met her kids. Probably made our house, which is empty nesters, too plain and boring!