Sunday, July 8, 2012

Show Results

  The fat balls worked!  Both Ref and Jackson put on weight in time for the shows this week-end.  Ref was in perfect weight and Jackson was close, then the heat wave hit.  He was only picking out the fat balls from his food, so at least he didn't lose weight but he didn't quite hit the goal we had hoped for.
  As far as the shows themselves, mixed results.  Both boys showed well, improving each day.  I was very pleased with that!  They both had great movement, Jackson doing a better job of standing while the judges went over him.  Ref didn't act like he enjoyed the show at all on the first day and I drove home thinking his show career was finished and we would need to look for a companion home for him.  The next two days showed dramatic improvement (thank heavens!)  Then, by today, his eyes were shining, he jumped up on me, he wanted to play and acted game for anything I asked of him.  Ref was obviously not today's judge's cup of tea, but yesterday he was Winners Dog for one point!  I was hoping the major would cross over but I couldn't get him to "show"when it was needed. I did learn some valuable tips that I used today so I improved also!
  Jackson did not win or even get Reserve in the four shows, which was very disappointing as he responded very well to Ellen (our handler), had lots of fun and looked great.
  Ref's past issues of car sickness is now history.  Jackson didn't travel well the first day but improved each day.  That's something I need to work on with him so I think long distance shows with Ellen will be put on hold for a bit.  Both dogs were relaxed at the show site, sleeping most of the days and generally quiet, even when the dogs in the next set up were barking or their handlers were eating lunch behind our crates.
  Proofreading my post makes me think maybe this was a better week-end than I first thought!  I didn't have to clean up car sickness, the dogs had fun, I had fun, I visited with friends, I learned some handling tips, discovered a grooming comb I've been wanting is still available and Ref got a point.  Yeah, this was a good week-end!
 

1 comment:

Dianne SS said...

I think that all in all, you had a pretty successful weekend! There were improvements in all kinds of areas and Ref got a point!! Congratulations!