Monday, August 20, 2012

A Pretty Good Life

  My husband changed jobs in May.  He's much happier in his new job, however, the pay isn't quite as much as his old job.  I'd rather he be happy over money, but it will put a pinch on dog showing so I've been looking for a part time job.  I'm not looking for a new career, benefits or a lot of hours, just something flexible so I can have week-ends off when needed.  Apparently, that's a tall order!  I've inquired/applied for several jobs but only four have led to interviews or some type of follow up and I haven't been hired yet.  I'm trying to not let this bother my ego!  In my former life, I managed the circulation department for a public library and now I'm applying for entry level jobs.  I'm sure when hiring personnel see my resume that they consider me over qualified and think I won't stay in the position for very long.  I'm also competing with much younger applicants who don't have husband, household and dog obligations.
  Last week, I had a working interview for a kennel assistant.  I thought this would be an ideal job as I could do it early in the morning, be with dogs and I'm certainly accustomed to scooping poop!  It was an eye opening experience.  Within a few minutes, I decided it was not the position for me.  The work itself was fine, but the facility and atmosphere was not.
  Of course, I was the oldest one so I didn't think the other assistants would want someone old enough to be their mother joining them!  I pretty much worked solo, cleaning and disinfecting the crates.  When it was time for group play, I played with the dogs while they checked their phone and texted.  I thought the staff and other applicants would be vet tech students, junior dog handlers or dog lovers but no.  One person said she didn't even have dogs, she thought they were a lot of work!
  What I really didn't like was the facility.  I'm fairly familiar with the county code on kennels and of course the facility would have been inspected before being allowed to open.  However, the crates and outdoor area all seemed to be of minimum size allowed.  If the dogs didn't get group play, they stayed in their crates all day and exercise was going to the other side of their run to relieve themselves.  One poor dog appears to have been abandoned by its owner.  He's been there for over a month, never gets walked, brushed or pet by the staff.
  The group play is letting the dogs in a yard for fifteen minutes in the morning and fifteen minutes in the afternoon.  There was only one toy in the yard for them.  Inside, the dogs only have toys if their owners bring them from home.
  The facility itself was immaculate, twice daily cleaning of crates and runs, bowls washed after every meal and bedding washed daily.  But the bedding was flimsy, many of the mats full of holes.  If a dog had a water bucket instead of a bowl, that indicated they would chew their bedding and couldn't have a mat.  They had to sleep on the concrete floor, not that the bedding made it much softer.
  Other than playtime for the lucky few, there wasn't much else to stimulate the dogs.  The staff didn't seem to pet the dogs much when they were being fed, no radio, no toys.  As I worked, I kept thinking about my own dogs and the life they have.
  While I don't have concrete runs so I don't hose down the kennel twice a day, I still spend a lot of time outside.  Their indoor kennels and outside runs are at least twice the size of county code.  The indoor kennels are lined with  rubber mats and have a cot if the dog will use it instead of treating it like a giant chew toy.  Everybody gets a good morning hug and kiss when they get breakfast.  More hugs and kisses when I clean their run or a little bit of playing if they are in the mood.  Each dog gets a misting and brushing when I pick up their bowls.  When the weather is nice, they have their group play--but it's all day long!  Their play yards have a lot of toys and they also have the stimulation of watching the horses at an adjacent farm, joggers, bikers or the wildlife.  All in all, a pretty good life!
  I didn't get the kennel assistant position but I knew that day I wouldn't accept it if it was offered.  Even though most of the dogs were there for boarding and would be home after their owners' vacations, I felt it was a routine that was very foreign to them.  I wondered what my dogs would think if they suddenly went to a kennel for a week (not that we could afford boarding for that many dogs!).
  I know the general perception is that our dog are "kennel dogs" because they are housed outside.  People think they don't get much attention or interaction with us but that isn't true at all.  Our dogs pretty much dictate to us our schedules, vacations and now employment.  If I had taken that job, or something like it, it will impact my dog time too much.  And, we can't have something like that!

No comments: