Monday, August 6, 2012

Doing Battle

  I know one reason why the dogs want out of the kennel---fleas!  We've been doing battle since the beginning of July.  My vet's office says this has been the worst summer for fleas that they have seen, and I can attest to that!
  I saw a few fleas on Ref when I was getting him ready for the shows in July.  I bathed him in a citrusy shampoo, which usual takes care of the stray flea or two that start to show up at the end of the Frontline cycle.  This time, it did nothing, and to my horror, I was finding more fleas on Ref at the show site.  A friend told me about Capstar, a great pill that kills all the fleas on a dog within half an hour.  I stopped at the vets on the way home that day and bought Capstar for all the dogs.  It worked!  But, unfortunately, it doesn't repel fleas so my problem came right back and worse.
  I gave the dogs their monthly Frontline but I was still finding fleas on the dogs and they were still scratching.  I tried treating the kennel yards with a spray but couldn't seem to completely eradicate those pests.
  Unfortunately, I came down with a summer cold that went into a sinus infection, knocking me out of commission for a couple of days.  Of course, that was all the fleas needed!  Just that fast, they were everywhere.  Dixie, Lauren and Phoebe started scratching so bad that they had bare patches on their legs.  I knew I had to draw up a battle plan!
  The weather cooperated that the dogs could be in the yards while I fought the war.  Over the course of two days, all the dogs got flea baths.  I closed up the windows and doors in the kennel, stuffed cracks with newspapers and flea bombed the building.  While the bombs were working inside, I sprayed the outside with a strong insecticide that we had bought from the farm supply store.  All the dog mats, towels and soft toys were washed in hot, hot water.  After the dogs came inside for their baths, I vacuumed the area rugs and every crevice of our downstairs, not wanting to transfer the flea problem to  our house.  At the end of the week, the dogs were due for their topical flea preventive but this time I used K-9 Advantix instead of Frontline.  Finally, the fleas were gone!
  I'm not saying we've won the war but I think we have the upper hand (although I say that with my fingers and toes crossed!).  One of my vets said that Frontline is just not effective this year and to keep up with the K-9 Advantix.  I'm glad to have Capstar in our arsenal now, too.  I can buy that through Amazon, which makes it much more affordable.
  I don't like that I had to use so many pesticides on and around the dogs to get rid of these fleas.  We had spread lime in the kennel in late spring in an attempt to not have fleas start.  I think next year we'll do that again, but as soon as the weather starts to warm, probably in March.  I also want to plant lavender, a natural repellant, around the kennel and play yards.  I'll need to stick with the K-9 Advantix applications, not all year, but start those in the spring, too, instead of early summer.  We have so much wildlife that come near and through the yards that I know I can never prevent fleas completely.
  It 's good to see the dogs comfortable again, even though we are still dealing with some 90+ degree days and August humidity.  I think they'd agree with me, though, that a killing frost would be welcome at any time!

No comments: