Friday, April 18, 2008

They're HERE!!











  














The puppies have arrived!  Typical Lauren, she went into labor and started whelping with intensity, actually at "Jie speed"--you library people know that means I had my means full trying to keep up!  Two puppies came within two minutes of each other!  The first five were born in less than 1 1/2 hours, then we had a two hour break after which Lauren popped out 3 more.  I think 8 will be our final number, with 4 males and 4 females.  Mama is taking a well-deserved rest while the babies are having a good lunch.  This is the most vigorous litter I have ever whelped!  Everyone weighs between 8 and 10 ounces, but I have a lousy scale and they move so much, it was hard to get an accurate weight.  All the puppies are extremely active and strong and good nursers.  I can see their little tummies filling and rounding out as they nurse!  Lauren is an excellent mom and very proud of her new brood!
More pictures later, and maybe a video by the end of the week-end!

No comments: