Friday, February 18, 2011

Is Pick Pocketing Next?

 We have two very adept gate latch flippers.  Little Bijou can open a gate so quickly, I sometimes don't have time to put the lock on it before she's flipped the latch, I'm hit by the gate and the stampede of her siblings.  We don't normally lock the indoor gates but are trying to get into the habit of consistently locking the puppies' run.  Bijou was only occasionally opening the gate at night and I'd open the kennel door in the morning to shredded poop bags and the foraging of rawhide toys.  Then she learned that Mosby also has a latch on his kennel and I started to find puppies in his run.  One night, there was a complete switch--Mosby was in the puppies' kennel, they were in his and they had moved all their toys in there, too!
  Her uncle, Gibson, can also open a gate but he only does the one from the main play yard (thank heavens for double fencing and double gates!)  But, he's very sneaky.  The other day Gibson was watching me clean kennels while he eased up the latch and slipped through the gate.  Then, he bounded over to me, so pleased with his accomplishment!  Fortunately, Gibson hasn't realized that all the latches are the same and he could open his own kennel gate as easily as the play yard gate.  I think I'll stop by Home Depot to buy some snap locks before that happens!

No comments: