Monday, November 21, 2011

Healing Waters?

  I have blogged before about our senior dogs, Ben and Sophie.  They are now 12 1/2 and we know that every day we have with them is a gift.  They have good days and bad days and Ben, especially, has started with longer cycles of bad days.  We watch them carefully for signs that it is time to say good-bye, but are always relieved when that decision can be put off for at least one more day.
  Ben and Sophie spend quite a bit of time sleeping, have difficulty getting up, their balance can be unsteady, their appetite inconsitent and Sophie is unable to spend a long night inside without an accident. A few weeks ago, their difficulties were very apparent and severe.  With a heavy heart, I thought it was time to take Ben to the vet, with Sophie to follow very soon after. 
  When that last day comes, I always give the dog a bath and a good grooming if possible.  It gives me quality time with the dog, a chance to say good bye privately and lets them cross over with the dignity they deserve.  After deciding that it was time to make arrangements for Ben in the upcoming week, I spent the week-end trimming nails, brushing and then bathing Ben and Sophie.  They can't tolerate long times on the grooming table, so over the course of the two days, many short sessions were needed to finish the brushing.  By dinner on Sunday, they looked like the show dogs they used to be!  They had a spring to their step and a sparkle in their eye.  I felt good, knowing they were comfortable and we had had good, final days.
  Monday was a surprise!  Ben and Sophie greeted me at the door of their room in the morning, eager for breakfast.  Ben finished his and was looking for more!  The walk to the kennel was energetic and they were interested in visiting the other dogs.  I began to think I could wait another week before calling the vet.  In the days that followed, it was if time was reversing itself.  Both dogs ate their meals every day, greeted us enthusiastically, even started playing!  When I would let the rest of the dogs out in the play yards, they would trot over to the fence and watch the activity.  Sometimes, they would bark with the rest of the dogs as the deer would come out of the woods and cross the property. 
  I'm not sure why Ben and Sophie are suddenly doing so well, but I'm certainly not complaining!  Could the baths have had healing properties?  If so, I wish it would work as well for my own aches and pains!

No comments: