Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Missed Opportunities

  We entered Gibson and Gemma in the "Turkey Cluster" this past week-end, so hoping that Gibson would finally have his championship. We employed a bit of strategy to achieve this goal.  I'll explain for those that don't follow dog shows that closely.  Points are earned based on the number of dogs entered.  Sometimes, there will be more points for one sex than the other.  In that case, exhibitors always hope the judge will "split" the points, meaning the Best of Winners earns the higher number of points.  In Gibson's case, we were hoping he would be Winners Dog and Best of Winners for two majors as the number of females entered were the right number.
  On Friday, Gibson was very relaxed outside the ring and gaited the best he's ever done for me.  Unfortunately, he still doesn't like the judge's exam.  The judge told me she couldn't give me Winners since he backed away.  The judge did split the points but since Gibson was Reserve Winners Dog, it was an opportunity lost.
  On Saturday, Gibson was better.  He was comfortable outside the ring again, moved well again and did better for the exam.  He was Winners Dog!  He had difficulty in Best of Variety competition though.  There was some poop in the ring that for some reason unnerved him and the Winners Bitch was in season which also unsettled him.  That's hard for any dog but especially so for Gibson, who has already worked out so many issues.  Saturday's judge did not split the points--Gibson missed another opportunity for a major.
  On Sunday, Gibson showed the best he's ever had for me.  He was Winners Dog and Best of Winners, unfortunately, there wasn't a major in bitches.
  The week-end left me a bit disheartened.  Gibson has tried so hard and I've worked so much with him.  I'm not sure if I should continue this quest with him or not.  I think he enjoys showing but I'm stymied as to how to have him achieve his potential.  It's truly been two steps forward and one step back.
  The week-end wasn't a total bust though.  Gemma, who had been entered for the experience and to help make majors, surprised me.  She was Winners Bitch on Sunday for her very first point!  When I saw the judge look her way as we were lined up, I wondered if she was being considered.  Then, the judge took a bit longer on examing her head. I made sure Gemma was  moving well on the final go around and was thrilled when the judge pointed to us!
  Both Gibson and Gemma were rewarded with special treats for their week-end of work.  We rewarded ourselves with cheese, crackers and a bottle of wine from our local winery, Casanel, after we got home!

No comments: