Thursday, June 7, 2012

Sophie

  Last Friday, June 1, we said good-bye to Sophie.  Her final days were a rapid slide of physical abilities.  We had to help her get up, help her gain her balance and when she walked outside, would lean against our legs to help steady herself.  Even at that, she would fall frequently while she was walking.  Her appetite decreased, too--although she still liked her evening treats!  We started to add treats to her food bowl to entice her to eat.  Sophie would pick the treats out and leave the kibble, sometimes going for a day and a half before eating a full meal.   By Friday, the expression in Sophie's eyes told me that she was not enjoying life anymore.  As painful as the decision was, I had to do what was best for our girl.
  The vet thought Sophie had an age related brain tumor, which caused the balance issues.  I had been researching her symptoms on the internet and wasn't surprised by the diagnosis.  Dr. Robbins offered the option of treating Sophie with steroids, which would mask the symptoms, improve the quality of her life, but only for a short time.  I couldn't see making Sophie go through the physical decline again, just so we could keep her for another week or so.  As I held her for her shot, the vet asked if I was ready.  I started to say "no," as I'm never ready to part with one of our animals.  But, I always have to accept what is needed for them so I nodded my head.
  Sophie was the first dog that I picked from a litter to be a show dog.  The stud's owner came to evaluate the litter and asked who I thought was the best. When I said Sophie, and Deanna told me I was correct, it was the greatest feeling!  A few years later, when I worked with Sophie, Ben and Mosby in a handler's class, a long time collie/sheltie breeder told me that Sophie was the best of the three.  She thought I should be concentrating on getting Sophie's championship.
  However, Sophie didn't like to show.  It took a long time just to get her to tolerate car rides without getting nervous and car sick.  Someone told me Sophie was just a country girl who wanted to be home!  We tried her in the ring, anyway.  Mid way through her very short show career, she adjusted to traveling and got her first point on February 15, 2004.  We changed handlers soon after that and though Ellen worked very hard with Sophie, it was pretty clear that it was an uphill battle.  We decided to give Sophie about ten shows to change her mind.  Some shows Sophie would have a bit of a spark but when we saw her in the ring at her second to last show, she looked absolutely miserable!  We decided enough was enough but for some reason decided to keep Sophie in her last show on May 17 (our wedding anniversary).  She must have known that she was coming home after that as Ellen said Sophie walked in the ring a different dog!  She was confident, held herself proudly and won Winners Bitch, Best of Winners and Best of Opposite Sex!  What an anniversary gift she gave us!  It was tempting to keep showing Sophie as the judge loved her and she received many compliments from ringside.  However, a deal was a deal and we brought Sophie home, content that she had finished on top!
Sophie at the start of her show career.

Sophie's second and final win.


2 comments:

Dianne SS said...

Ahhh, this has been a tough year for you. I'm so very sorry that your Sophie is gone. She was a beautiful dog and I can see why everyone thought she was show dog material. But it is a very wise person who can read their animals and do what's best for that animal--all the way through their life. You did right by her, always.

Jan said...

Thanks. It's been a very odd week, not having her in the house or seeing her in the yard. Gibson has been good, as always, at lifting my spirits. All the dogs seem more at ease now that Sophie is at peace. They had been very unsettled the last couple of weeks, which was another sign that Sophie's time had come.